Friday, July 27, 2007

The Blurb

The Elegance of a Hedgehog

By Muriel Barbery

Translated by Gayathri

“My name is Renee. I’m 54 years old and I’m the caretaker of No. 7 Grenelle Road, an upper middle class building. I’m a widow – short, ugly, plump, with corns on my feet and on some mornings, bad breath that would knock out an elephant. Outwardly I conform so perfectly to the image the general public has of a caretaker that they never think that I could be a woman of letters. Better read perhaps, than all my bourgeois employers.”

“My name is Paloma. I’m 12 years old. I live at No. 7 Grenelle Road in an apartment that could be the last word in luxury. But for a long time now, I know that the final destination is to be life in a fishbowl - the vacuous and inept existence of all adults. How do I know this? Because I’m intelligent. Exceptionally integlligent. So, I’ve made my decision : at the end of this school year, the day I turn 13, I’m going to kill myself”.

2 comments:

Tinky Toinkers said...

where is next chapter?

Bilal Zubedi said...

Well the elegance of the hedgehog was a wonderful novel, one that wasnt missing anything. A must read and a sweet book.